Saturday, May 5, 2012

On The Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

I found this book highlighted in many magazines and on my amazon account and it looked interesting.  I was immediatley into the stranded on a desert island idea, as I am a Survivor fan.  I really liked watch them trying to survive alone and with limited knowledge.  Obviously, being from Chicago, they did not spend their weekends watching Survivor Man or anyother NatGeo show.  I thought I might fare better.  The real draw to this book was the fact the the characters were very different, in that the 30 year old teacher was hired to tutor the 16 year old boy for the summer.  The love interest between the two was very gradual and although it makes you wonder, deep down I thought....I would have totally gone there as well.  They were on the island for three years so it all ended up being age appropriate.  The one item that kind of picked at the back of my brain was the boy had been in remission for Luekemia.  It wasn't dwelled on or discussed much in the book after the initial introduction.  i worried through the book, and the trailer even said that they worried the cancer would return while they were on the island, but it wasn't really a story thread that continued through the book..I have to recommend this book as a really good summer read.

No comments:

Post a Comment